The mission of the Jefferson County CYS is to provide for the protection of all children. Without compromising safety, we will support and strengthen families in a culturally sensitive manner. Agency Staff will pursue safe and permanent homes in which children can live and grow. Based on State and Federal laws and the fundamental principle that all children have the right to grow and develop in a safe, nurturing and stable home with their own families whenever possible, the Agency provides the following services:
- Twenty-four hour availability to investigate reports of alleged child abuse, child neglect and child dependency and identification of families and children requiring general protective services.
- Services and assistance to families and children to enable children to remain safely within their own homes and to prevent family disruption and the need for child placement.
- Temporary safe care and supportive services in the most family-like setting possible for children in need of placement outside of the home.
- Stable permanent family life through adoption when the birth family cannot or does not provide permanent care for the child and post-adoptive services for the child and family as long as necessary.
- Community education, parent education and other preventive services in collaboration with others to reduce the number of children needing services of the public child welfare agency.